Monday, June 11, 2012

Bee Keeping - The beginning.

I have been so busy lately, family, school, work, and fibre.  I have had a baby, started an etsy shop full of squishy batts handy locking stitch markers and handspun art yarns and bought a house.  I went from just me to a family of 5! There has just been no time for blogging.  I keep thinking about it though.  So I am giving in to the blog bug and am going to have another go at sharing my musings with the world!






Recently I embarked on a new project.  Many of you will know of what I speak: The Beekeeper's Quilt.  It is self-published by Tiny Owl Knits.  This is the most addictive pattern I have ever started.  I don't think I have gotten more than 5 hours sleep per night since I cast on my first hexipuff.


Another exciting part of my life is Phat Fiber.  It is this great box of samples that you can buy once per month.  "Buy" makes it sound so simple.  It is more of a mad race to buy one of a limited number of boxes, it takes a very dedicated type of fibre stalker to successfully purchase one of these boxes.  This box is stuffed full with yarn and fibre and notions made by independent fibre artists all over the world.  It gives you a chance to sample their wares, to touch and pet and smell the fibre before you buy it.  Phat Fiber is more than that, it is a family, it is a group of amazing people that I feel privileged to be a part of.  Every month I send a batch of samples off into the world and every month a wonderful box makes its way to my door step.  


This box contains many samples, a lot of them are fingering weight, fingering weight just happens to be perfect for making hexipuffs.  Mine are more hexiflats since I am not stuffing them but I like the word hexipuff better.  So I am going to share my Phat sample hexi puff journey with you.  I might throw in the odd post about my shop, my family, the mushroom colony on my front lawn... but for now we will focus on hexipuffs because that is really all that this addiction will allow me to do.


This is my first batch of Phat hexipuffs:




It was made last week.  These hexipuffs were so much fun to knit.  The colour gradient in the yarn was mesmerizing.  The yarn is from Play At Life Fiber Arts.  I liked it so much I actually sent her a message practically begging for more little baby sockie makis but alas, there were none to be had.  


This is my next batch of Phat hexipuffs:



The amazing green puffs at the top are from Shenanigan's Yarns, then the bronze age and bornite (orange/blue/purple) puffs on the left side are from Fiber Charmer.  I liked the bornite so much I couldn't bear to waste it and used the little bit of leftovers to make a stripe of it on the bottom middle puff.  The green puff in the middle is from The Dyeing Arts and the colourful puff to its right is from Color Bug Yarns.  Finally, that leaves the lovely shiny navy grey puffs on the bottom row from Sky Loom Weavers.

Now that I have caught you up on my hexipuffing I am going to get back to knitting...

Cali

No comments: